Saturday 29 December 2018

Mothers are being abused during childbirth. We need our own #MeToo | Sally Gimson

Many women are scared to speak out about their treatment at the hands of medical professionals as they give birth

When I had my first baby by caesarean section, I woke up on the operating table. The pain was so extreme as they were cutting me open that as I was regaining consciousness my first thought was that I had gone to hell, and was being tortured. The pain was accompanied by a loud beating in my head. When I became more conscious, I realised that I had not been given enough anaesthetic, but I was paralysed and there were tubes in my mouth. Then I heard them say in German – because I was in eastern Berlin only a few years after the wall had come down – “She can have everything now.” Mercifully, I passed out. When I woke, I tried to say something in my faltering German. But they patted my hand, got my husband to show me my baby and pretended they hadn’t understood.

Related: Don’t tell women to shut up about childbirth. Sharing stories saves lives | Suzanne Moore

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2CEJOPh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you?

Can you see Earth's new 'minimoon' with the naked eye?

from Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines https://ift.tt/4tBJHTY