Wednesday 28 February 2018

Pregnancy is a life experience I’d rather avoid. That doesn’t mean I’m selfish | Arwa Mahdawi

Society still frowns on women who don’t want to go through having children – despite the immense toll it can take on them. Why?

I recently conducted a very scientific study in the pub with some straight male friends. “Have you ever wanted to experience pregnancy?” I asked. The answer was an emphatic “absolutely not”. In the interests of methodological rigorousness, I rephrased my question. “Do you ever feel sad you aren’t able to experience what it’s like to grow a human inside you?” Again, 100% of respondents answered with some variation of, “Hell, no.”

My investigations were prompted by a scientific study published in the journal Human Reproduction. The official title of the study is Parity Associated With Telomere Length Among US Reproductive-Age Women, but a more accurate title would be Yet More Evidence That Pregnancy Is Torture. Not only does pregnancy mess with your hormones, it appears to mess up your DNA; giving birth may add the equivalent of 11 years to a woman’s biological age.

Continue reading...

from US news | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2FBTHgG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you?

Warren Buffett Is Doing This for the 1st Time in 20 Years. Should Investors Be Worried?

from Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines https://ift.tt/2EgeoUl